Comprehensive Guide: How To File a Cheque Bounce Case

A cheque bounce case, also known as a dishonoured cheque case, can be a legal recourse when a cheque issued to you is dishonoured by the drawer's bank. It is essential to understand the legal procedures involved in filing such a case to protect your financial interests. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the steps to file a cheque bounce case in accordance with the applicable laws.

Understanding the Basics

Before you initiate a cheque bounce case, it's crucial to grasp some fundamental concepts:

  • Cheque Bounce: A cheque bounce occurs when a cheque issued by a drawer (the person who writes the cheque) is not honoured by their bank due to insufficient funds, a signature mismatch, or other reasons.
  • Payee: You, as the recipient of the bounced cheque, are referred to as the payee.
  • Drawer: The person who issued the cheque and owes you the payment is the drawer.
  • Notice Period: Laws in various countries often require sending a legal notice to the drawer within a stipulated period after a cheque bounces, demanding payment.

Steps to File a Cheque Bounce Case

Follow these essential steps to file a cheque bounce case:

1. Verify the Bounced Cheque

Confirm that the cheque indeed bounced due to insufficient funds or any other valid reason. Ensure that the cheque was not post-dated (with a future date) when it was issued.

2. Issuing a Legal Notice

The first step is to send a legal notice to the drawer of the bounced cheque, informing them about the dishonour and demanding the cheque amount. Here's how to go about it:

  • Consult a Lawyer: It is advisable to consult with a lawyer who specializes in cheque bounce cases. They can draft a legal notice on your behalf.
  • Content of the Notice: The legal notice should contain details such as the cheque number, date, and amount, along with a demand for the cheque amount within a specified period (usually 15 days).
  • Send by Registered Post: The notice should be sent to the drawer's address by registered post with acknowledgment due (to ensure proof of delivery).

3. Waiting for the Response

After sending the legal notice, wait for the stipulated period for the drawer to respond. They may choose to pay the cheque amount, settle the matter amicably, or contest the notice.

4. Consult a Lawyer

If the drawer does not respond or refuses to pay, consult your lawyer for further legal action. Your lawyer will help you assess the merits of your case and guide you on whether to proceed with filing a case.

5. Filing a Complaint

If you decide to proceed with the case, your lawyer will assist you in filing a formal complaint in the appropriate court. The following steps are involved:

  • Gather Required Documents: Collect all relevant documents, including the bounced cheque, the legal notice, postal receipts, and evidence of delivery.
  • Prepare the Complaint: Your lawyer will prepare a complaint that outlines the details of the case, including the facts of the dishonoured cheque and the legal notice.
  • Select the Jurisdiction: Determine the appropriate court where you should file the complaint. Generally, this is the court within whose jurisdiction the bank is located where the cheque was presented.
  • Pay the Court Fees: Pay the requisite court fees for filing the complaint.
  • Submission of Complaint: Submit the complaint along with the necessary documents to the court. Your lawyer will guide you through this process.

6. Summons Issuance

Once the court receives your complaint, it will issue summons to the drawer of the bounced cheque, requiring their appearance in court on a specified date.

7. Court Proceedings

The court will conduct proceedings where both parties (you as the complainant and the drawer as the accused) will present their respective cases. Your lawyer will represent you during these proceedings.

8. Judgment and Execution

If the court finds in your favor, it will pass a judgment in your favor, ordering the drawer to pay the cheque amount. If the drawer still does not comply, you can take legal steps to execute the judgment, which may include seizing their assets.

Important Considerations

When filing a cheque bounce case, keep these considerations in mind:

  • Preserve Evidence: Maintain all relevant documents, including the bounced cheque, legal notice, postal receipts, and court-related paperwork.
  • Legal Representation: It's advisable to have legal representation from the beginning to navigate the complexities of the legal process.
  • Statute of Limitations: Be aware of the statute of limitations applicable in your jurisdiction, which sets a time limit for filing a cheque bounce case.
  • Alternative Dispute Resolution: In some cases, alternative dispute resolution methods like mediation may be considered before pursuing a court case.


Filing a cheque bounce case is a legal recourse to recover the amount due to you when a cheque issued by the drawer bounces. It involves sending a legal notice, consulting a lawyer, and following the prescribed legal procedures. While it may involve some effort and time, it is essential for protecting your financial rights and ensuring that cheques are honored as legally binding financial instruments.

Join to newsletter.

Curabitur ac leo nunc vestibulum.

Get a personal consultation.

Call us today at